Wednesday, November 29, 2006

If a table is missing one leg, can it still stand?

The answer is a resounding NO!

Here's the story:
When I moved, two legs of my dining room table had to be removed in order to get the table out of the doorway. Since I've been working on the kitchen, the two-legged table and its two lose legs have been sitting in the basement waiting for the day when it could be re-assembled and put back in the kitchen. (I don't have a dining room; there is an eating area in the kitchen). I looked everywhere for the bolts that would attach the legs back onto the table. Finally, I bugged Rob on Thanksgiving to see if he could remember what we did with them. Come to find out, he had the bolts. No problem. My dad was in town, and we were headed to Home Depot to get some stuff, so we decided we'd take one of the legs with us and find some bolts that would work. We found what we needed and got a lot of other stuff, too. My dad got me my Christmas gifts while we were there. I'm set with a lot of nice tools, now :).

Anyway, we get through the checkout, and we load all our purchases into my Beetle. We had to put the back seat down as we had some large items. (a trash can, a folding table for down in my basement by the washer and dryer, and a large box that held a set of tools that is still making me drool!) We then headed to the grocery store, then home. The next day, we go to put the table together, and can't find the leg. I realize we must have left it at Home Depot, so I call the store and sure enough, they had the table leg. The girl I talked to, however, could not find it, but said the associate who had found the leg would be in tomorrow and that he would know exactly where it was.

The next day, my dad and I go to Home Depot to get the leg. We find the guy who found the leg, and he goes to get it for us and it's not where he left it. He looks around and can't find it, so he tells us to come back at 5:00 when the manager gets in. He seems to think the manager had put it in a "safe place". My dad and I head back to Home Depot at about 5:30, and we see the same guy who found the leg. I look hopefully to him to be the deliverer of the leg and he informs me "They threw your leg away."

"What!?" I scream. "You threw it away?! It's not like it was a scrap piece of lumber! It was a lathed solid oak table leg!" At this outburst, everyone who was in the area was looking at me. The guy who had found the leg told me he even put a note on it saying Do Not Throw Away. Hmmmph. They did it anyway.

After getting the 800 number for the corporate complaint department, all they were willing to give me was a gift card for 10% of the cost of the table. It was an $800 table (at least, that's what I told them), so I'm getting an $80 gift card. Great. I'm pretty much done with the kitchen, I've got enough tools to start my own contracting business, and their stupidity left such a bad taste in my mouth that I never want to shop there again. Replace the table! At least pay for a custom leg to be made. $80! It's not even cash! It's $80 that I have to spend in their stupid store. What a joke. Now, I take some responsibility in this because I left the leg in the cart. Had someone taken it and it was never found, then shame on me. But, they did find it, and I called about it, and they knew I was coming for it. Seems to me this mulit-billion dollar company could have given me a couple hundred dollars to get a new leg made.

GO TO LOWE'S EVERYONE! GO TO LOWE'S!

Or that Tractor Supply Company. (Something like that). They have funny commercials.

Oh yeah. I have to add this:
My five-year-old niece, Jackie, was at my house when I got home from Home Depot and was fuming about the leg. She asked me what was wrong, and I told her about the Home Depot people throwing away my table leg. She asks me "Well, don't you do Tae Kwon Do?" I tell her "yes." To which she says "Well, why didn't you just Tae Kwon Do them to make them give you another leg?" HA HA HA! She's a funny girl.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

She may be just a funny little girl, but what an idea!!!I'm thirty-something and I would "LUV" to see you kick some Home Depot butt! *chants quitely* do it...do it...do it...

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home