Wednesday, January 11, 2006

23 or Single?

I've been contemplating my state of singleness for the past couple of days. If you know me, you already know that it doesn't normally bother me. Something happened recently that has made me wonder if I'm doomed to be like a Seinfeld character – am I just too picky? There's a difference between being selective and being picky, right? Then there's me. I'm downright elitist. I'm sure a mental health professional would have a field day with this.

Anyway…
There is this guy who has been asking me out since about mid-December. Last Friday, I asked him if he wanted to join me for dinner. I was craving Tabouli from this really cool place close to where I work, and I figured that I could kind ogaugege where he was coming from, and if I got the feeling that he wanted to "date", then I could explain to him all the reasons why I thought it would be a bad idea. I mean, I could have just blown him off with the hope that he'd get the message and stop calling, but I don't like to treat people in a way that I wouldn't want to be treated myself. Golden Rule and all, ya know? So we're having dinner and the conversation is decent and I'm having a nice enough time. It's not so bad. All in all, he seems like the sort of guy I'd be attracted to – if I were 23.

Yes, he's 23 years old. That puts the age difference at 13 years. OUCH!

I could be friends with someone who is 23 and it wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't found out that he really digs me and wants to "date". (I hate the word "date". I don't what it is about it, but it gives me the heebie jeebies when I hear it spoken. The word "chipotle" has the same effect on me). Being 23, he also has the drive of one who is 23 (if you catch my drift). He was persistent and kept asking me why I was pushing him away. I told him there were many reasons, one being that I am 13 years older, and another being that I just don't know him well enough. To both these reasons he responded "Thirteen is my lucky number, and you can get to know me better." And he comes at me again. So, I thwart his advances again and he says "Sooner or later, I'll wear you down. I'm persistent." And I said, "You may be persistent, but I'm diligent. And I have a Black Belt – and it's not the kind you put through belt loops."

Bottom line is this: 23 year old people are attracted to me. How sad is that. I say this because there is also another guy who is also interested in me and is also 23. Again I say, how sad is that. Do I have nothing to offer people my own age?

Okay, some of you may be thinking "Hey! You go! More power to ya!." If I look decent enough that I can attract 23 year old men, then I should be flattered, right? In a way, I guess I am, but with the young age, comes the young brain. These people haven't LIVED yet. They still live at home with their parents. They still think life is all about going out on the weekend and getting drunk with your friends. That's what 23 year old people do these days. But I'm at a point where I'm just past all that and I need something more meaningful to talk about. In fact, I was probably past all that at 23! I don't really consider myself too old for many things, but I am too old to do the bar scene. By too old, I mean too wise and by too wise I mean that I know there is so much more to living and life than the shallow existence of a Barfly.

These may all seem like valid points and that just because I don't want to date someone who is 23 doesn't make me like those crazy people on Seinfeld. Well, here are some of my other reasons for not liking perfectly nice men who were interested in me in the past:

1. I didn't like the shape of his thighs.
2. I didn't like the way he spoke like Fozzie the Bear.
3. I didn't like the fact that he wore a bracelet.
4. I didn't like his hands.
5. He walked funny.
6. He said "melk" instead of "milk", and "warsh" instead of "wash"
7. He liked hip-hop music
8. He liked contemporary country "music" (if you can call it music!)
9. He didn't like Andrew Peterson (this one really didn't happen, but how could I like anyone who didn't like Andy?)
10. He had oily skin and his face was always shiny

See what I mean? These were all different people. Not the same guy with all these things. With all these hang-ups it's a wonder I was ever married at all.

So what's a girl to do? I'll tell you what this girl is going to do. I'm going to go home tonight, turn on the electric blanket, which is all I need to keep me warm at night, snuggle up to Floyd, my stuffed frog, and celebrate my singleness!

7 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Perhaps this is a post that doesn't really require a comment, but since I can't seem to get in on the Kimmy discussion(my computer hates me) I thought I'd indulge myself with this a while.

1. I didn't like the shape of his thighs. Thighs are one of the largest parts of the body (at least mine are) so you better be happy with them.
2. I didn't like the way he spoke like Fozzie the Bear. Not sure who Fozzie the Bear is.
3. I didn't like the fact that he wore a bracelet.Please, don't let me offend anyone...girls wear bracelets though.
4. I didn't like his hands.Who wants to be touched with hands they don't like?
5. He walked funny. At least you'd always have something to laugh at.
6. He said "melk" instead of "milk", and "warsh" instead of "wash"Do you see an r wash???? Huge pet peeve of mine.
7. He liked hip-hop music uughh.
8. He liked contemporary country "music" (if you can call it music!)No comment. My husband does to. But his thighs are nice.
9. He didn't like Andrew Peterson (this one really didn't happen, but how could I like anyone who didn't like Andy?)I guess I'll think of something for this when it happens.
10. He had oily skin and his face was always shiny this is just too gross. If you ever tried to kiss him you might slide right off.

I can see feeling proud that a 23 year old is attracted, but that doesn't mean you should be interested. I've never bought the idea that age doesn't matter. There are just a lot of differences that a person would have to want to work to overcome.

11:43 AM  
Blogger Eliza Osborn said...

Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim.
Oh, Kim.
"Do I have nothing to offer people my own age?" Dang, girl, you know what the problem there is? You look so young, you know, a good decade and then some younger than you really are, that I'll bet most men "your age" or thereabouts probably think themselves pervy for thinking about asking you out. Plus, church is an issue because while you're involved with a group of mostly singles in the Questish group, they're mostly much-younger guys. I don't know all your circles of friends, but I know those guys know you enough to know the age difference. Tell me if I'm wrong here and need to shut my trap. ;c)

The crazy people on Seinfeld thing? I don't think you should categorize yourself with those freaks at all. You're a mature enough person to get over the fact that the guy wears a bracelet or that he had oily skin if, at the core of it, God's there with it. Hell, you might even be all, "ooh, hey, mmm, grrr, shiny skin, bracelet, funky hands!" for the Right One. (Oh, and I'm copyrighting that phrase, 'the Right One' and every derivative of it, 'cause ooh, royalties!)

On top of all that, you've had a seriously bad relationship and you understand the importance of being picky. You have a right to be picky.

Mostly, though, you have a great life, you know who you are, you're successful and you're not looking for someone to define -you-. I know I can't relate to where you are or where you've been, but I have every confidence in your future, and I know God's lookin' out for you, no matter what.

Geez, I hope that didn't sound trite. Really.

PS - Chipotle.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kimmy said...

Wow, there are some lengthy comments going around today, but all excellent and well said, including those above.

Let me just say btw, I totally get numbers 4,8 & 10, and Adrienne, Fozzie Bear? Come on, Fozzie? No bells ringing yet?

So yeah, Kim you rock, and you have an awesome brain. Totally awesome.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

honest, no idea...I was married before I had a tv in my house though - so some may call me a bit deprived!

And Kim, I hope I didn't make light of what you were thinking. I wasn't intending to or anything - I don't actually know you, but I have no doubt you have much to offer when the time is right. However, I think you know that, so I think I might not be in too much trouble. :)

9:01 AM  
Blogger kimw said...

I so appreciate everyone's very kind words. I know I do have a lot to offer, I just sometimes wonder why I don't WANT to offer it. I know that if the time is ever right, God will bring me exactly the right person. Until then, He keeps me at peace in the place I'm in right now.

Adrienne, Fozzie Bear is a muppet. I don't know if he was ever on Sesame Street, but he was on the Muppet Show, and in the Muppet movies.

And no, I don't think you were making light :)

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know guys shouldn't (and it seems aren't anymore *pokes fun at Rob*) respond to a post that discusses the negatives of your male admirers [you know the whole male code thing] but I'm going to anyway. Just a couple points though, I do have my dignity!

3. Why do only girls get to wear bracelets? They are so shiny and pretty and dainty and (oops, a little too much feminine came out of me there!)
4. I totally agree a guy should have good strong hands that are attractive. And yes scars are attractive. It shows they know how to work. If a guy doesn't have hands you like, forget him!
6. Come on people, we all live in America, learn how to use the language properly. Amen on this point. (Some accents sure are sexy though aren't they?)
7 & 8 ICK ICK ICK, you should never use the word music in the same sentence as those two.
9. Not only should you bail on this guy but stone him! (That may have been a bit harsh.)
10. Can't stop laughing at Adrienne's comment on this one!

All in all, you are an attractive person who has more to offer than most know. God has a plan working itself out in you. If you find someone it'll be great. If not, Floyd sounds like a nice guy too.
-Sam

9:23 AM  
Blogger kimw said...

Yes, Floyd is quite nice. He's always got a smile on his face and there is nothing about him that bothers me. In his case, it IS EASY being green.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home