Wednesday, December 14, 2005

They Call Me Ebenezer

I often thought that I would like to take a nice ski trip every year at Christmastime. I would leave on December 23 to some beautiful mountain resort, and while most people were running around like crazy stressing themselves out for the holidays, I would be flying down the slopes with the fresh air in my lungs and cold wind in my face. I wouldn't return until about Jan. 4 when the world is finally back to normal. I would have "Christmas" with my family and friends when I got back. Isn't that nice of me? It works out, you see. I could skip Christmas, and they could prolong it. Everyone's happy. Isn't that what Christmas is all about?

No. That's the point. Christmas isn't about any of those things. Christmas is really about Jesus coming to earth to save us all. That fact, however, is conspicuously missing from the modern-day Christmas celebration. It's not a celebration of Christ's life, death and resurrection. It's not a celebration of his sacrifice for us so that we don't have to suffer true death. At least for most people it's not. And that, I'm sorry to say, ruins it for me. Retailers aren't even allowed to say "Merry Christmas" because "Christmas" has "Christ" in it. BAH! HUMBUG!

So, just put me on a mountain in God's country so that on Christmas day, I can concentrate of the birth of a savior, and thank him for saving me—for eternity, and for the present as I'm flying down a very steep slope!

2 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Amen sister! Hahaha. Seriously, I completely agree. It's not about what the world has made it to be. And did you hear that some school or something changed the words to Silent Night? I was so furious when I heard that.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

You deserve some more comments for this wonderful journalisn . Even alot of christians fall into the whole gift thing . The first thing your asked is " are you ready for christmas "? We all know what that means . Did you go out and get in debt to buy presents for everyone . Alot of times people buy gifts more out of obligation than anything else . Definately not all people , but alot . You know I haven't bought anything yet . You may ask why . I know this sounds odd , but I don't have the money . I know I am not the only one who faces this dillema . Somehow all these other people I know buy presents . I know it has to be plastically induced . I have already overjoyed my share of plastic ,and it is all joyed out . I now declare I don't want anyone buying me anything if they can't afford it . I hope the people around me feel the same way .
There is only one present we need , and it doesn't cost anything , and he is always with you .
GOD BLESS

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home