Wednesday, December 21, 2005

That Thing I Do

I know that most of you know that I am a graphic artist. Currently, one of the main things I do at my job is to design fireworks packaging. I thought that I would post some of my designs here so that you all will have some idea as to what it is I work on during the day.

There are strict guidelines that must be followed when designing, with respect to what needs to be on the package and where, that is. There are specific warnings that must go in specific places in relation to the name of the product. Also, the warnings must be a specific size depending on the total number of square inches the package is. We have a long checklist of things that have to go on the package. Otherwise, the design itself is completely up to me. One thing I found out is that the best way to get a design approved, is to make it brightly colored and to have explosions in it.

These first two are novelty items that basically make loud noises.






These next ones are just some of my favorites. I drew the lotus flower that I used on the Lotus Flower Shell. It took me about two days. I "painted" it using Adobe Illustrator. I usually don't spend that much time on my graphics, but in this case, I had some extra time to kill. I'm kind of proud of it.





4 Comments:

Blogger Eliza Osborn said...

Ooh, lotus pretty. Lotuses/loti/lotu blossoms are some of my favorites in the plant world, did you know?

Killer talent, that, just the same. Hey, will you design my book covers? And illustrate all my children's books?

You had to know those questions were coming. You just had to.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

You are quite the artist. Amazing work, I do say.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing work Kim. When people go in a fireworks store, they don't really think about the fact that someone had to sit down and design and draw the artwork. Explosion shots are just stock photos to the naked eye, now I know better. But the best part for me will be the fact that when I go shopping next June, I'll be the most popular guy there because I'll know the artist on the stuff I'm buying. Pretty darn cool.
-Sam

5:24 AM  
Blogger kimw said...

Thanks, everyone for your very kind words. I am fortunate to actually kind of like what I do for a living.

I did not know the lotus was your favorite flower, E! They are quite beautiful. And, of course I'll do your book cover and children's books! How much fun would that be?

Sam, we artists here in the art room always joke around saying that we're really wasting our time because you could wrap these things in brown paper bags and they would still sell! Oh well, at least I know one person who will be paying attention now :)

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home