Thursday, February 08, 2007

I'm cranky

Why do people come to work when they're sick? One of my co-workers came to work this morning with the flu, vomited twice in the restroom that those of us on this side of the building use, then went home. Thanks a lot. Now your fluey germs are floating around for the rest of us to catch.

I may not like it, but I can understand it when people who don't get paid sick days come to work when they're not feeling well. When you're living paycheck to paycheck, it's hard to miss a day of pay. But we get paid sick days here for crying out loud! Use them! Now I'm going to have to go around with my spray bottle of Clorox Daily Sanitizing Spray wiping down everything she might have touched. Bother!

I'm a tad bit cranky today. Not because I didn't sleep well, though. My pillow is still as awesome as it was the day I brought it home. I don't know what is bringing down my mood, I'm just having one of those days. I have some lame projects at work that are more of a hassle than they are fun or creative. I got scolded this morning for being late by, of all people, the cleaning lady!

I use the term "cleaning" lightly. Every morning, she gets out the vacuum cleaner and does the hallway. Actually, she does all the floors EXCEPT the art room. She'll come right up to the edge of the door, but never will she cross the plane and run that vacuum in here. The floors are filthy. She'll even go as far as standing in the artroom herself so she can manuever the vacuum to get the optimum angle for suction, but she'll never suck up one bit of dirt in here. Since I've been working here (for a year and a half now), she's not once come in here to clean. I'm always the one who has to do it. And she has the nerve to say anything to me about being five minutes late for work. Yeah, she made me cranky.

The vacuum cleaner is kept in a closet in the break room. She has put a sign on the door of the closet that she hand-wrote in big red Magic Marker, "KEEP OUT!" and something about asking her permission to get anything out of the closet. I'm going to go get the vacuum cleaner now, and I'm not going to ask permission. So there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

You go get that vacuum Kim! I'd do the same exact thing;-)

Don't be angry at me, but I went to work terribly sick yesterday because I had no choice. I was the only one who could work apparently. They knew I was sick, but I still had to. I felt bad for my customers (yes, plural. I had several customers yesterday) They all told me not to breath on them and that I should be home in bed.

9:15 AM  
Blogger kimw said...

Well, see, your case is different. There wasn't anybody else who could do it. It's not like, if given the choice, you wouldn't have stayed home and gotten yourself well. So I'm not angry at you :)

Feel better, okay?

9:59 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Do you know if the clean-some-parts-of-the-building lady has a reason she will only come into the artroom to get that optimum suck? Sounds like she's a strange bird to me.

I have no idea why people go to work when they have paid sick time. Especially if it isn't a job where someone will have to cover for them. When I had sick days...I loved being just a tad bit sick 'cause I could call in. Heck, they give you all those days and they're useless if you don't use them.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home