Monday, February 12, 2007

Clean and shiny

I went to the dentist today. It had been about two years since I'd last seen Dr. Ellashek as I didn't have insurance and it was one of those costly things that was very easy to put off. Now that I have insurance, however, I figured I should take advantage of it and go to the dentist.

Of course, it's not a very pleasant experience, and whenever you mention to someone that you're going to the dentist, the person with whom you are speaking usually gets a horrified look on his or her face and makes a noise like "Ohhnnhshlghaie!"

Truthfully, I've never had a bad experience at the dentist. Once, I had to get a wisdom tooth pulled, and I was deathly afraid of getting the shot in my mouth. I told this to Dr. Ellashek, and he assured me that I wouldn't feel a thing. ("Yeah, right! that's what they all say", is what I was thinking) He pinched my cheek between his finger and thumb and jiggled it some then he said "There". It was finished. I had my shot, and he was right! I didn't feel a thing. He had my tooth pulled in about 5 minutes, and I was on my way.

Once, I had a soft spot on one of my teeth. It wasn't a cavity, but it could have turned into one, so he wanted to drill the soft spot off. He proceeded to drill without any novocaine. I expressed some concern, and again, he told me "Don't worry, you won't feel a thing." This time, however, he added, "But if you do, then we'll get you some novocaine." Again, I felt nothing.

So, today's trip to the dentist wasn't worrisome for me. In fact, I love the way my teeth feel after a good cleaning, and I like how they look shiny. I had x-rays, I had a cleaning, my teeth were polished and lastly, flossed. Dr. Ellashek came in, checked out my teeth and x-rays, pronounced that I was cavity-free and sent me on my way.

All in all, I had a pretty good visit with my dentist. I would recommend him to anyone who has a fear of all things dental.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

I've had nothing but good dental experiences as well. My doctor was a sweet old guy who used to sing to me while he worked. It was actually fun going to see him! Unfortunately for me, he retired and I've been avoiding the dentist ever since. I'll be sure to keep your guy in mind when I get back out there;-)

4:30 PM  
Blogger kimw said...

My dentist has never sung to me. Maybe next time I go to see him, I'll ask him to sing me a little diddy!

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home