Friday, September 08, 2006

Thumb, Thumb, Thumb, Dumb

I did something stupid last night.

I slammed my own thumb in my own car door. How does a person do that? Until last night, I never would have thought it possible.

I was coming home from class, and my hands were full - my gym bag, purse, phone, garage door opener, keys and a bottle of water. (On a side note; I'm a pack mule). I had my gym bag and purse over my left shoulder, my water in the crook of my arm, and my garage door opener and phone in my left hand. My keys were in my right hand that is currently sporting an enlarged purple thumb.

To add some background to this:
My car doors are very heavy, and most people, when they close the doors on my car, give them a good shove and the weight of the door causes the whole car to shake on its foundation when the door slams shut. I try not to do this, and on this occasion, I was easing the door closed with my right hand. I must have bumped the door with my gym bag because the next thing I knew, I felt a huge pressure, and my thumb was on fire! It took my mind a few seconds to realize what was happening. I was completely discombobulated!

The next series of events happened in slow motion:
I looked down at my hand and realized my thumb was stuck in the door. Not being in my right mind, I foolishly gave my hand two hearty tugs to try to free my thumb. I know, I know! It was stuck, and it wasn't coming loose! Before panic took over, my calm head prevailed. I set down my stuff, reached over with my right hand, opened the door, and extracted my thumb.

It's a little swollen today with some slight discoloration, but all in all, it's none the worse for a good slam in the car door.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

Oooh, that sounds so painful. Sorry.
Are you mad at your car now and want it off of your hands? Or thumb rather? I can help with that:-)

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm sorry to hear this. I'm glad to hear that it appears to be ok, relatively speaking.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Was the worst part that you wanted to get so mad at someone but you had done it yourself? Oh, I hate that feeling!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home