Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The end is in sight!

I don't have too much to say, but since I haven't written in a while, I thought I'd give you a little something to read today.

Well, the last of my long runs before the marathon is over. My sis and I ran 20 miles on Saturday, and I have to say it was one of the toughest lessons in perseverance I've ever had. By mile 18, I just didn't feel like running anymore. I was sick of it. While my legs were starting to get tired, it was more of a mental thing. I was tired of seeing the same old scenery go by yet again. Through the course of the three hours it took us to do it, we saw groups of people come and go from the park – heck, we even outlasted the bike riders! I always said that I didn't have the desire to do a marathon not because of the physical aspect of it, but the mental. I was right in my thinking in that it's certainly harder to train your mind to run for three or more hours than it is to train your body to do so. Hmmm, I wonder what happened to my lack of desire to run a marathon? It was really just a lapse, because that lack of desire is back, I've just come too far now to quit!

Along with the marathon training, I've also been training for my big martial arts tournament coming up on Oct. 8. Last night, I worked hard for two and a half hours and feel good about the progress I've made. However, I think I overdid it and pushed myself too far. After working out for that long at the school, I still had to get my five miles in last night. So, I came home, put on my running shoes, and eeked out a VERY SLOW five miles at 9:00 at night. You know what? I'm just too old for that. I'm so tired and sore today. I still haven't recovered from the 20 miles on Saturday. What was I thinking?

In three more weeks, it will all be over – the tournaments, the marathon – everything. I plan on being a slug and making myself a fixture at the Osborn's house if they'll have me. Their house is a great place to unwind and forget about everything you "should" be doing and being completely focused on what you "want" to be doing – which in my case will be just being still and slug-like. Plus, the delightful new addition will make it that much more joyful to be there.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

I just don't know how you do it, but DON'T DO IT AGAIN! No more marathons for you!!

I completely agree with you about the Osborn Household & the delightful new addition. If I wasn't sick, I'd think about barging in there right now:-)

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home