Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Inspired

Kevin has inspired me. Sam, too.

Like Kevin, I'm going to try to post every day. And Sam has made me realize that even though I think I have nothing to write about, sometimes it's the every day happenings in the various lives of friends that keeps us coming back to blogland every day.

So, here comes my random update of what's been happening in my life.

Work is finally back to normal. I say normal, but it's really quite slow. I don't think the word "slow" even begins to cover it. I've done nothing - NOTHING - since the end of THE SEASON. It's been kind of nice. I've taken this opportunity to start my yearly reading of The Lord of the Rings and am well into the journey that Frodo and Sam start start out when they leave the Shire. They have not yet reached Rivendell, but I am looking forward to when they do. I do so love the Elves of Rivendell. If I lived in Middle Earth, that's where I would want to be. There or Rohan. Either one. Rohan has fabulous horses.

In martial arts news...…
My sister just got her black belt! This is a momentous occasion and I'm so proud of her. Her promotion test was very challenging and she stepped up and met every one. It was tough - three hours of strenuous activity including sparring, breaking, self defense, forms, punching, kicking and every thing else we could think to throw at her. I got to be one of the judges who sat for her test, so that was quite an honor.

I started training with some weapons, too, namely the bo staff and the nunchakus (chuks). I have now graduated from using rubber chucks to the real thing now that I no longer have the fear of knocking my noggin off with heavy wooden sticks flying around at about 100 mph. I thought rubber would be a much safer bet for someone just learning. Since using the real thing, however, I have discovered that doing the techniques is in fact easier with some weight behind the weapon. Sure, the potential for self-injury is greater, but that's a chance I'll have to take. I did smash my hand during yesterday's practice, but it wasn't so bad. The chucks are certainly a weapon that you don't want to practice in public until you get really good at them. There is great potential for humiliation.

Until tomorrow!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimmy said...

Sweet on the every day blogging. The blog princess is pleased;-)

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home